Thursday, December 4, 2008

Birthing Adventures Part I

Oct. 15th-18th Rumah Sakit (Hospital, "Sick Room") Muhammadiyah

Yesterday i saw my first birth! I live just down the street from one of Gresik’s several hospitals. As luck would have it, the one I stopped in at on my way home happens to specialize in maternal care. Ive been volunteering there since. So far I had mostly been helping transport patients, bathing and feeding newborns, filling in charts and such but yesterday i was greeted by a widening cervix that was already 7 cm dilated! It was incredibly exciting! One of the doctors let me gingerly put my gloved hand inside the panting woman to feel the baby’s head! I could hardly believe my luck and was thanking the doctor and mother-to-be profusely when she peed all over me (the mother that is), projectile peeing to easily rival any male’s golden arc- can’t believe i am getting to see births up close in the splash-zone.

Things progressed quickly from there, the obstetrician came and there was poo, about a quarter liter more of urine, soooo much blood, and eventually a giant baby head popped out all wrinkly wet and wailing! I had grabbed onto the mothers hand by now, as much for my sake as for hers. i was holding my breathe until the baby finally squirted the rest of the way out. Whew incredible release. Also, had no idea the placenta would look like that.

The mother was in pain, I held her hand, gave her water and talked to her to distract her from her episiotomy sutures. I asked her if she had thought of a name yet and she asked me for some suggestions. I tried to avoid the question saying i didnt know very many indonesian names yet, but they were all laughing and pressing me for a response so i said my favorite boy back home was named Johnny.

When i finally made my way home after noodles and laughs with the nurses, i stopped in to say goodnight to the newborn. His nametag said JONI.

Saturday 18th – saw another birth! Was awoken in the middle of the night by a text message from one of the nurses, quickly threw on some clothes and went out the door running. There is a note taped to the wall next to the nurses’ station that reads (in indonesian): PLEASE CALL MIKAELA (THE BULE :) ) IF THERE IS A BIRTH. 24 HOURS!

It was a baby girl with dark eyes quietly kicking and looking around, there was much cooing and other such silly noises on my behalf. The mother burst into a smile when I told her she had a beautiful daughter. She was born with Down syndrome and her parents joy was without a shadow of shock or disappointment. I am yet not sure if the hospital offers prenatal screens for Down syndrome.

1 comment:

Dan Chazin said...

Mikaela...amazing description of birth...